I want a pet
Here is where you will find information about adopting a pet, finding a lost pet, how to license your dog or horse, animal vaccinations, spay/neuter information, microchipping, how to file a barking dog, definitions of animal cruelty and how to report it, or dangerous animal complaint, what to do if you find a stray animal, how to arrange for a dead animal to be picked up, and permit information. As the needs of the community grow, so do our services.
Looking to adopt or foster a pet?
Looking for a lost pet?
Animal Services Centers Hours of Operation
- No appointments are needed Tuesdays and Thursdays 8am to 5pm and Saturdays and Sundays 11am to 5pm.
- LA Animal Services Centers are open by appointment Wednesdays and Fridays from 8am to 5pm for pet adoptions, fostering, and owner surrender. Sick or injured animals will be admitted without an appointment.
- Make an appointment by going online, or calling 888-452-7381.
- Our Centers are closed on Monday.
I Want to Meet Pets Available for Adoption
Our Centers are open to the public with no appointment needed on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8am to 5pm or Saturdays and Sundays, from 11am to 5pm. Appointments are required to visit our shelters on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Schedule your appointment online, or call 888-452-7381 to make an appointment on a Wednesday or Friday.
- Potential adopters will be provided a date and time for their visit to one of our Centers, and will be encouraged to view available animals on our website at laanimalservices.com/adopt prior to coming to their appointment.
- Upon arrival for the appointment, staff and volunteers will guide the adopter through the kennels to view animals available for adoption.
- If there is a pet you are interested in adopting, our staff or a volunteer will provide you with all available information on the animal, and you will be escorted to a designated area so you can get acquainted with the animal(s).
- To follow COVID-19 safety protocols, social distancing will be observed and face coverings will be required during your scheduled appointment.
I Want to Foster a Pet
Please consider fostering if you are unable to adopt a pet to give them a break from shelter life. You can foster a dog for a day, to a week, to up to three months. When fostering a cat, we recommend fostering a feline friend for a minimum of two weeks. Fostering an animal companion also offers additional opportunities for dogs and cats ready for adoption to meet potential adopters during outings in and around their neighborhoods.
If you would like to foster a pet, please follow these steps:
- Visit laanimalservices.com/adopt and identify an animal you would like to foster.
- Email the volunteer liaison at email@example.com with your completed foster application (if you have not fostered before), a picture of your government-issued identification with photo (i.e., driver’s license), and the Animal ID number(s) of the pets you are interested in fostering.
- We will call you once your application is reviewed to schedule an appointment.
I Want to Be a Foster Kitten Lifesaver
If you have been approved to foster kittens with LA Animal Services, email your district’s lifesaving liaison to be set up with your foster kittens.
LA Animal Services is always looking for foster volunteers who can care for bottle baby kittens — kittens who are learning to eat on their own — as well as sick kittens and moms with litters.. Help save the lives of these vulnerable feline friends. Be a foster volunteer lifesaver! Complete the foster application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our adoption policy and fees.
See our hours and directions.