The Permit Section provides services for the City of Los Angeles with permitting various animal-related businesses, activities and exhibitions kept, maintained, bought and sold. Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) Chapter 5, Article 3 , Rules and Regulations of the Department of Animal Services must be read and understood in order to process your application. This document and application can be obtained at any of our Shelters or it can be downloaded from this webpage.
- Alligator Farm shall mean any place where alligators are raised and kept for display, exhibition or amusement purposes.
- Animal shall mean any animal, poultry, bird, reptile, fish or any other dumb creature.
- Animal Acts or Exhibition shall mean any display containing one or more animals which are exposed to public view for entertainment, instruction, or advertisement.
- Animal Rental Establishment shall mean any place where a collection of domesticated animals or wild and domesticated animals are kept or maintained for hire.
- Aviary shall mean any cage or enclosure where birds are kept or maintained for breeding, display, exhibition, amusement and/or for commercial use.
- Boarding Stable shall mean any place where privately owned horses or ponies are provided room and board for commercial purposes.
- Cat Kennel shall mean any lot, building, structure, enclosure, or premises where four (4) or more cats are kept or maintained.
- Circus shall mean any place wherein trained lions, tigers, elephants, horses, dogs, and other animals, including seals, are made to perform under the whip or command of a ringmaster or trainer, and where horsemen, acrobats, tumblers and clowns perform for public entertainment. A wild animal permit shall not be required if a circus permit has been issued.
- Dog Kennel shall mean any lot, building, structure, enclosure, or premises where four (4) or more dogs are kept or maintained.
- Dog Show shall mean any place where a collection of different or all one breed dogs are being exhibited and judged.
- Grooming Parlor shall mean any place or business where animals are bathed, fur clipped or groomed for a fee or other compensation. Animals may not be kept overnight at a grooming parlor.
- Horse Market or Mule Market shall mean any place where equine are bought, sold, traded, exchanged or auctioned.
- Livery Stable shall mean any place where horses and carriages are kept for hire.
- Miscellaneous Animal or Reptile Establishment shall mean any place that keeps, uses, or maintains animals that require control and are not covered by any other permits issued by the Department.
- Â Motion Picture, Television and Theatrical shall mean any place where one or more animals are used in any motion picture, television, or theatrical performance or production, whether for entertainment, instruction, or advertising.
- Out of City Supplier shall mean any place, located outside of the City of Los Angeles, where a collection of domesticated animals or wild/exotic and domesticated animals, are kept or maintained for hire or use within the City of Los Angeles. If wild animals or exotics are brought into the City of Los Angeles, a wild animal permit is also required.
- Ostrich Farm shall mean any place where ostriches are raised and displayed.
- Pet Shop shall mean any place of business where dogs, cats, birds, fish, or any other animals, are kept for sale, for hire, or sold. If wild animals are maintained, a wild animal permit is required.
- Pony Ride shall mean any place where sheltered or other small breeds of ponies are rented out by the ride.
- Riding Academy shall mean any place where one or more horses are kept for hire, and where riding lessons are given.
- Rodeo shall mean a contest, exhibition or competition of the skill of contestants or entrants in horsemanship, and where lassoing is usually performed involving cattle, horses, bulls, goats, and wild cows for public entertainment.
- Transfer Permit shall mean a written authorization issued annually in accordance with the permit process established in Sections 53.50 and 53.58, giving the permit holder permission to sell or transfer for compensation or otherwise, animals under the age of six months including dogs or cats
- Wild Animal shall mean the keeping or maintaining of any wild, exotic, dangerous, or non-domestic animal or reptile. Any person who brings wild animals into the City shall first apply for and obtain a wild animal permit for the Department of Animal Services.
- Zoo shall mean any place where a collection of wild animals or wild and domesticated animals are kept or maintained for exhibition or for view by the public.
The Department, before receiving any application for the granting of any permit required by this section, shall require the payment of an animal permit fee in amounts as follows:
|Animal Rental Establishment||$290.00|
|Pet Show, Dog Show, Animal Acts or Exhibitions||$425.00|
|Miscellaneous Animals or Reptile Establishment||$205.00|
|Rodeo, First Day||$1,660.00|
|Riding Academy, Livery Stable, Board Stable, Pony Ride, Horse Market or Mule Market||$325.00|
|Animal Grooming Parlor||$180.00|
|Filming with Animals||$680.00|
|Wild Animal Permit||$290.00|
*Exception: The fees imposed herein for a Pet Show or a dog Show shall be waived in the event that such show is held in a public park. However, a no fee permit application is required.