Pet Poison Prevention

There are a number of common human foods that are considered toxic if ingested by our pets, that include alcohol, caffeine, bones, chocolates, grapes, and raisins. There are also everyday household items, like health and beauty products, like sunscreen, anti-aging lotions, and anti-inflammatory medicines that can be poisonous to our four-legged friends. 

When outside, pet families also need to be mindful about the items that are used to tend yards and gardens, like lawn and garden chemicals, that can be harmful to our animal companions, so be sure to keep these supplies sealed tightly and out of reach from curious pets. 

The ASPCA has a complete list of plants, flowers, and household products that are poisonous to pets as well as people, as well as food and beverages to avoid feeding our four-legged friends. You may also download the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center’s (APCC) mobile app, which helps pet owners to identify more than 300 potential everyday poison hazards found in our homes or yards.

Certain poisons will result in an immediate reaction from pets, while other poisons may take several days for symptoms to develop. The following are some symptoms to look for if your pet accidentally ingests poison:

  • Drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea
  • Weakness
  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Nervousness, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, and seizures  

If you believe your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have, call your veterinarian or local emergency pet clinic immediately. You can also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. A consultation fee may apply. 

Comments are closed.